For vehicles which are not registered under IRP or IFTA, additional permits are required before entering another jurisdiction. Vehicles exceeding limitations on the size and weight also need to obtain a permit.

Trip Permits

In order to operate in a location which is not registered under IRP, a trip permit must be obtained before entering that jurisdiction. The trip permit is a temporary permit issued in lieu of IRP credentials for properly registered vehicles.

Fuel Permits

In order to operate in a location they do not hold an IFTA decal and license, a temporary fuel permit is needed. Carriers must secure a temporary fuel permit prior to entering a jurisdiction for which they are not properly permitted.

Oversize and Overweight Permits

If a vehicle is overdimensional (oversize) or overweight, they must obtain a permit authorizing movement according to vehicle size and weight.

virginia HVUT

Temporary Permits

Virginia offers 10 day IRP trip permits and Motor Fuel Road Tax permits, for any qualified IRP or IFTA vehicle, but not registered.