A hauling permit is required to travel in Virginia when a vehicle exceeds the maximum limitations:
- Height: 13 feet 6 inches
- Width: 8 feet 6 inches
- Length (Motorized Vehicles other than Buses or Motor Homes): 40 feet
- Length (Trailers): 48 feet (53-foot trailers are allowed on interstate system)
- Length (Vehicle/Trailer Combination): 65 feet, Overhang: 4 feet - Rear 3 feet - Front
- Weight (Single Axle): 20,000 pounds
- Weight (Tandem Axle): 34,000 pounds
- Legal Limit Weight Allowances - Gross/Axle Group Weight.
- 2300 West Broad Street, Richmond Va
- Monday - Friday 8:00 am-12:30 pm & 1:30 pm-4:00 pm
For more information see: www.dmv.state.va.us/general/
States assess fuel and use taxes based on weight, miles traveled and amount of fuel purchased. Returns are to be filed annually, quarterly or monthly based on the
type of return.